Why Might You Need An Inspection Service?
There are four main reasons why we carry out inspections:
- To ensure work is carried out to the required standard
- To identify where and why a property is losing heat
- To assess the condition of existing insulation
- To assess whether a property is of the right structure and in the right condition to have insulation installed
We carry out these inspections:
- As part of the industry Installer Approval and Inspection Service
- To check the condition of your home or a house you are interested in buying
- Before every installation or cavity clearance/extraction we undertake
- To ensure our own team consistently meet our exacting standards
Inspecting your home
If your home has unexplained damp and mould we can inspect your property and identify what is causing the problem.
Even if your property has no outward signs of damp you may:
- Be unhappy with work carried out by another company
- Find your energy bills are not going down as you expected
- Feel your property is not retaining heat
We can inspect the condition of your current insulation and identify if and why your home is losing heat.
What Types of Insulation Checks Do We Provide?
Heat Loss Survey
Our heat loss survey will identify if your home is losing excessive heat and confirm the reasons why. We use a thermal imaging camera to highlight any cold spots on your house where warm air is escaping cold spots will eventually lead to damp, condensation and mould and could be caused by faulty insulation.
Cavity wall and loft insulation are designed to protect your home, creating a warm and healthy environment for you to live in while helping to cut your fuel bills. However, your insulation can actually damage your home if it was poorly installed.
The following are all signs of a poor installation and can lead to cold spots and, eventually, penetrating damp:
- Insufficient ventilation
- Debris left in the cavity
- Voids in cavity wall insulation
- Gaps at the edge of loft insulation
- Incorrect spacing of the drill holes for cavity wall insulation
The damage caused by a poor installation can take several years to show. So even if there are no outward signs of damp, you cannot assume your insulation is safe.
We can check the condition of your current insulation to see if it was installed correctly. We can also inspect the condition of older insulation as this can also cause problems if:
- It has degraded so no longer fills the cavity or traps sufficient warm air
- It has become wet
Before we install any insulation in your home we do a thorough survey. This is to ensure your home is of the right structure and in a suitable condition to be insulated. We will never install insulation in a property where it would be unsuitable.
Our inspection is thorough, exceeding industry guidelines and that of many other installers. For example, for cavity wall insulation we look inside every wall in four different places. We do this using a 360o video boroscope that allows us to see two metres in every direction inside the cavity.
The survey covers:
- The type of property and the cavity construction
- The location of the property
- The age of the property
- The width of the cavity
- The condition of the wall ties
- Detailed visual inspection within the cavity investigating area to be filled
- Detailed visual inspection of the external wall area of the wall/s to be filled
- The condition of the structure for damp or condensation issues
- The services through the cavity which would be affected by cavity fill, e.g. ventilation, gas flues, etc.
- A Health and Safety risk assessment report
We also gain independent third party approval for all Cavity wall Insulation which is an industry specification requirement. This will confirm that your property is suitable for the proposed insulation installation.
In Need Of Insulation Condition Checks?
Tell us so we can provide you more info and put you in contact with one of our expert Insulation Inspectors