Keeping Warm – Financial Help For Those Most In Need

Energy bills are a concern for many people, being more energy efficient at home is one way to reduce your fuel bills. You may however need to invest in home improvements like cavity wall insulation and loft insulation before you can access the biggest savings on your fuel bills. Financial help is available in a number of circumstances, for those in most need. If you want to make energy improvements to your home or heating system then the main source of help is the Energy Company Obligation (ECO). This is a scheme which obliges UK energy companies to install energy efficiency measures in the homes of those who need them most.

If someone in your household receives a pension or is on benefits, then you may be eligible for support, to find out more call us at EVOLVE Home Energy Services on 0800 292 2554 email or ask your energy supplier (Npower, SSE, Scottish Power etc) if they can help.

You can also try calling your local authority – they will be aware of any local initiatives in your area that can provide help.

If you live in Wales, the Welsh Government Warm Homes Nest scheme which aims to make Welsh homes warmer and more energy efficient may be able to help. Nest is open to all householders in Wales and provides advice on saving energy, money management, energy tariffs, and benefit entitlement.  In addition to free advice, if you own or privately rent your home and you or someone you live with receives a means tested benefit you may be eligible for home improvements at no cost.

If you are eligible, a Nest assessor will visit your home and recommend a tailored package of improvements that will help to make your home warmer and save you money on your energy bills. Suggested improvements, funded by the Welsh Government, may include a new central heating boiler, radiators, heating controls and insulation. Contact Nest for more information and to see if you are eligible for free home improvements visit the  Nest website

Financial support for UK pensioners in winter

If you were born on or before 5 August 1953 and you receive the State Pension or another social security benefit, you could well be eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment, this offers between £100 and £300 to help with your winter energy bills.

Other options include the Warm Home Discount, another winter-only payment of £140 towards energy bills for those who claim the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit or are on a low income. Your electricity supplier should be part of the scheme.

To help with the very coldest periods, there’s the Cold Weather Payment. This is £25 to help with bills after seven days of sub-zero conditions. You qualify if you’re receiving certain benefits – details of this, and of the other grants and payments, can be found on the government’s Simple Energy Advice website.